Sunday, April 29, 2012

3 Years Ago.... My Birth Story

3 YEARS ago I birthed my sweet baby girl and here is the blog posts to prove it... 

haha. Check out my birth story of my Cara. "Nugs" is referred to as my oldest daughter Ryann and CK is my Cara Kay.

FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2009

Contractions started

I posted on my facebook at 4:15 pm that contractions had started, but nothing regular. I mean, I had been contracting for weeks, but these ones were starting to change a little. I was feeling them in my back too.

So at 5:30 I felt them regular. This is when I decided to get into the tub- Nugs really wanted to join me- so this lasted for awhile until I had to start breathing and working hard through contractions. I kicked her out and told Rich to call our friends who were going to watch her- and let them know we would bring her before she had to go to bed at 7.


The birth story continues

Sorry for the delay of postings and of pictures- I have had really good intentions to at least put up pictures- but I will get there- I promise. So here is (hopefully) the rest of the birth story with some pictures. (this all happened Wednesday 4/29/09)
After I got out of the tub with Nugs, Rich was home from work and having dinner with my parents and Nugs. She was kind of fussy and I was trying to stay hidden and let my body do it's own thing. I relaxed in between contractions with my "hypnobirthing" CD and relaxing music and that helped a ton. I started having the "toe-curling" contractions and I started to think I was a sissy- so I told Rich I needed his help.
At one point during this all I remember hearing Nugs screaming so I yelled, "Just get her out of here!" and my parents were out the door in a flash to drop her off with KJ (thanks again you guys!)
At this point Rich was a little nervous. We had taken hypnobirthing classes and one of the predominant ideas is that if you are in a relaxed enough state you don't always feel pain during labor. I am a firm believer that this is true- however, I wasn't in this relaxed enough state. :) So Rich was starting to get nervous because I was hurting. But he did a fabulous job of keeping me straight with my hypnobirthing ideas and he helped me breathe through each contraction and relax in between them all. Occasionally I would make other noises during contractions but he quickly helped me refocus and kept me looking towards the goal.
I was on the birthing ball while my parents were gone and when they got back I had my dad check my cervix. I was 5cmThis was 7:00pm.
I thought, "great, now I am in active labor- 5 more hours at the most."
I had Rich text our midwife, doula, and labor nurse who would meet us at the hospital. Just an update- just to let them know I was going to hang out at home for another hour or so.

.My midwife.
2 minutes later we get a phone call from the midwife and here is the conversation:
Midwife: "Rich, does Brittani want a home birth or a hospital birth?"
Rich (looking at me): "Brit- do you want a home birth or a hospital birth?"
Me: "hospital birth?!" somewhat confused
Rich to midwife: "Hospital birth"
Midwife: "well, get in the car and get her to the hospital now!"
Sorry- breastfeeding break! to be continued...


There isn't much more... so this has got to be the last segment of the birth story... cause I am dying to post pictures of CK!
Rich drives very safely to the hospital because I told him I was in no rush to get there. I was breathing well through my contractions and Rich would occasionally remind me to relax and he would count my breathing for me. During this entire thing I never had anyone time my contractions nor did I care how close or far apart they were. I didn't think about how much the next one would hurt, I just relaxed in between.
When we got to the hospital my midwife and doula were there. My labor and delivery nurse who was coming in to help with the birth was stuck in traffic, but no worries. I never felt nauseated, but when I was walking into the hospital I let out some huge burps (like girls camp burps from high school-wow!). I like to think I was more calm than my midwife, who was ordering people around to get a room ready for me.
Before I got to my room where they could listen to CK's heartbeat I stopped in the bathroom twice. I kept feeling like I needed to have a bowel movement (uh- you think I would have put two and two together) but it wasn't until I actually started to push sitting on the toilet when I realized I better get into the bed and let someone know what was going on.
At 8:05 my midwife checked my cervix and let me know I was 9 1/2 cm dilated. She also broke my water. After that next contraction I smiled and said, "I am so happy". I obviously had many reasons to be happy, but mostly that it was about to be over and I would be able to hold little CK in my arms.
I decided to try and push with the next contraction but that hurt even more. I finally realized that I better just listen to my body. I only pushed once or twice with the next two contractions and then finally I felt like I needed to push the entire contractions. Both my parents and Rich were there by my side and my dad was video taping- this is when I started to get a little vocal- my dad thought it was funny that I was so quiet during labor and then pushing is when I got loud and that is the only part he got on video! LAME.
I was vocal because while I absolutely love my midwife she was bugging the crap out of me! She kept saying things like, "you are feeling a lot of rectal pressure" and "She is crowning now- you will feel a lot of burning." And I in turn would reply, "I KNOW!!! I CAN FEEL IT!"
8:21 pm, on April 29, 2009 CK was born. 7lbs 8oz. 18 inches long. Slightly bigger and a little shorter than Nugs. They look almost exactly the same and CK has beautiful blond hair. She has some newborn rash and is a little peely- but she is absolutely amazing.
I was able to breastfeed immediately after she was born and I breastfed for the first hour. I never had an IV, never needed pitocin, and I felt amazing after she was born. It was a perfect labor and delivery and I couldn't have asked for anything better.

No comments: