Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Trusting Tuesday: Toddlers Have Feelings Too

I found this blog post HERE and it truly touched my heart. Last night as my girls were talking and giggling after I put them to bed, so I went into their room and calmly told them they needed to get back in bed and go to sleep. 15 minutes later after yelling and laughing and someone stealing the other's toy I sternly told them they needed to go to sleep. After 20 more minutes with tears and someone had hit someone else I went into their room, grabbed both of them and put them in their respective beds... no gentleness involved. I then looked each one in the eye, pointed at them and loudly (not quite a yell) said, "go to sleep now!" Both started crying as I walked out and shut the door behind me.

It did the trick. They both fell asleep.

Is that worth it? If I had a boss look me in the eye, point at me, and in not quite a yell, reprimand me for being myself... what would I have done?

I would have burst into tears. My self esteem crushed. I would have felt less than a person should ever have to feel. And I personally did this to both of my daughters last night.

Currently they are both sleeping. Thankfully their sweet innocence will bring them right back to me as the sun on their alarm clock wakes them up. I will kiss and hug and apologize for the wrong that I did to them last night. Their unconditional love (at this age) will let them forgive me as I do my best today to be a better mother, protector, provider, nurturer, and keeper of their sweet spirits. I hope and pray that I will respect these intelligent beings in a way that I would expect respect from those around me.

I am thankful for a new day.



Below is the original article:



http://www.positive-parents.org/2011/09/children-have-human-feelings-like-us.html


Tantrum

This is a guest post by Rhiannon Edwards.
*************************************************************************

After a particularly upsetting (for me) trip to the shopping centre, I'm left feeling deflated. So many parents aren't hearing the positive parenting message, and society seems to not understand children at all. This is for the parents in the shopping centre...

Your child's feelings are real.

That tantrum she's throwing because she can't have an ice-cream? That's the same emotion you felt when you weren't accepted for your first loan.

That whining to go home? He's feeling the same way you feel after 8 hours at work.

The tears because she wants a $2 ride? Remember how you felt when you were turned down for that promotion? I'm sure you have a good reason for saying no, just like your boss did.

You don't have to change your mind, there's no need to give in, you can still stay firm, but please, take a moment. Put yourself in his shoes, and remember. After you do that, the rest is easy.

No comments: