Saturday, October 29, 2011

Susan G Koman: 3 Day Walk

Just a few months ago, I noticed on facebook that a friend, Keri Murdock, would be participating in the Susan G Koman for the Cure: 3-Day Walk... I enjoyed following her journey, as she posted about training, fundraising and finally the big event. I asked her to share a little about her experience...

"I decided to do the walk as a team with my family and friends. As I wrote my letter asking for donations, I realized that I was really walking in hopes that someday my children and grandchildren might not have to worry about losing anyone to breast cancer. My sister in law is a breast cancer survivor and I know others who are too. I trained hard for about 2 months...walking 5 - 8 miles as many days a week as I could. I raised $2,400 with the help of many friends, co-workers and family members. I reached my goal the day before the event began! I have to admit, it was really hard to walk 20 miles each day. We walked for about 8 hours each day. There were lots of pit stops, snack stops and of course a lunch stop on our route each day.

It was amazing. I met many survivors along the way, cheering us on as we walked. I met some who were still fighting their battle...I met many who had lost someone to breast cancer. It was heartbreaking at times. On the second day as we were walking we came across a young girl in her early 20's. She was holding a pink sign that read "Thank you for walking...my mom had surgery yesterday". I stopped and talked with her and found out that her mom was doing well and was coming home. That moment in itself made it all worth it for me. Knowing that one young woman still had her mom and hoping that many more would never have to worry about losing their mothers, sisters, grandmothers, etc. to breast cancer filled my heart."






Thank you for sharing your story with us! We are so impressed at what you accomplished... from the Susan G. Komen website...

"We’re working together to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures."

No comments: