Monday, April 18, 2011

Mommy Monday: Toddler Love


Every night before we go to bed my daughters string me along a whole routine.

First we brush our teeth. Then they get a drink of water. Then we tuck them in.

Without fail one of them has to "go potty" and if one goes potty the other one has to as well.

Then we get them back into their beds.

They watch me feed the fish and they say goodnight to their fish as I turn out the tank light.

We decide who gets to say the prayer. One or the other, mommy or daddy, or all of us. Nights when they are really tired and fussy- we all have to go- usually at the same time because they hate taking turns when they are cranky
After the prayer we sing one song. And then another. And another. Finally dad kisses them and leaves the room because he knows it is getting ridiculous.

Then during the "last" song I kiss them both. Then they want hugs, high fives, and knuckles. If they remember then they ask for a butterfly kiss (eyelash flutter on their cheek), an eskimo kiss (rubbing noses), and a fancy kiss (think the French kissing each cheek).

They even sometimes ask for a "Flint Kiss"- if you haven't seen Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs then you have no idea what I am talking about. But we often do a "flint kiss" before bed.

Then finally I give them the ultimatum- LAST SONG. LIE DOWN. And I sing one more song. Then before I finish that song I walk out the door and leave it slightly open. If I close it all the way there are instant tears.

After the door is slightly shut I stand there and listen as my girls continue to sing each other to sleep. This is truly Heaven on Earth. I couldn't love my girls anymore than I do when I close that door and listen to them grow and learn and bond with each other. They protect each other. They listen to each other. They love each other.

As a mom I know that these little things I do may not be the most effective but they are precious and I wouldn't change them for the world.


Have you entered our Giveaway?? HERE

1 comment:

Erin and Zach said...

precious! sisters are heaven on earth :)